Ask any person who suffers from arthritis what it feels like to deal with chronic pain each day and they will tell you right away that they wouldn’t wish it happened to even to their worst enemies.
Each arthritis sufferer reaches a point where their pain becomes crippling, debilitating, and unmanageable without some sort of a treatment. Imagine never-ending pain, a 24-hour period when even minimal relief can make a significant difference; this is how arthritis patients feel on a daily basis.
Since arthritis is an autoimmune and inflammatory disease, most people with arthritis are prescribed anti-inflammatory and pain-killing medications. Still, pharmaceutical treatment comes with negative side effects, and more often than not, it leads to addiction and makes living difficult without a daily pill-cocktail.
Thus, many desperate sufferers who were fed up with Sisyphean labor began to seek relief in CBD oil. CBD, short for cannabidiol, has a well-documented record of analgesic effects and has been shown by numerous studies to have strong potential to become a novel anti-inflammatory and pain-killing treatment.
In today’s section, we review 10 best CBD oils for arthritis and explain the “why” behind CBD’s application in that matter. Don’t have time for personal research? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
10 Best CBD Oils for Arthritis
Below, we list our hand-picked selection of best CBD oil for arthritis, based on both our own experience and online user reviews. Keep reading to discover more information about the most trusted brands in the industry.
1. CBDPure Hemp Oil 600
Unlike many other CBD brands, CBDPure sources its Cannabidiol extracts from certified organic industrial hemp cultivated in Colorado. Yes, you’ve got it right; CBDPure’s hem comes from our domestic farmers, which is actually the first good indicator of its quality.
After having a quick chit-chat with the company’s CEO and the team responsible for the production of CBDPure Hemp Oil 600, we totally understood why they decided to get their hemp from Colorado farms. US hemp farmers are subject to strict quality-control procedures which guarantee that your oil will be pesticides and herbicide-free. Plus, Colorado has some of the best growing and manufacturing conditions for hemp.
CBDPure ships their products to most states in the US, excluding Arkansas, Louisiana, Kansas, and Indiana.
Here’s why CBDPure Hemp Oil 600 is one of the best CBD oils for arthritis:
- 100% organic, certified, GMO-free industrial hemp
- CO2 extracted
- Lab tested for the cannabinoid content and the presence of pesticides, heavy metals, and harmful toxins
- Contains a full-spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – you get a full refund if you’re unsatisfied with the oil and send back your order within 90 days.
- Doesn’t ship to Arkansas, Louisiana, Kansas, and Indiana
Our take on CBDPure Hemp Oil 600:
The reputation of CBDPure Hemp Oil 600 as one of the best CBD oils for arthritis is well-deserved. In our opinion, this CBD oil works wonders for pain and its efficacy is second to none. The 600mg version is the strongest option of all hemp oils offered by the company, which makes it perfect for those who need cannabidiol in high concentrations.
What we appreciate the most about CBDPure Hemp Oil 600 is that it comes with a broad spectrum of other cannabinoids and terpenes, which increases its efficacy. Unlike CBD isolates, full-spectrum extracts provide unique synergy between their compounds, boosting their therapeutic effects.
As for the oil itself, a quick glance at its color and consistency leaves no doubts that we’re dealing with a premium-quality product. Hemp Oil 600 has a golden yellow color and is free from any green tints, meaning that the company has done a good job in filtering out excess chlorophyll and plant material.
Hemp Bombs CBD Oil
One day, we stumbled across Hemp Bombs CBD while scrolling our Instagram feed, and man, we’re so glad that we did!
Hemp bombs is a unique CBD brand that puts much time and effort into their fan/customer base in social media, but they also make some of the most potent CBD oils for arthritis – at least in our opinion.
This Florida-based business makes sure that everything – from the CBD extraction to processing and packaging – is done right there in-house. Plus, they source all of their raw hemps from organic farms in Europe, specifically from Scandinavia. These regions are known for their superior quality of hemp.
Here’s why you might be interested in giving Hemp Bombs a shot (damn, these puns!)
- Sourced from organic, certified industrial hemp
- CO2 extracted
- 99% pure CBD isolate
- No traces of THC
- Lab tested for potency and purity
- Amazing selection of products
- Great customer relationship
- Lacks other cannabinoids and terpenes
Our take on Hemp Bombs CBD Oil:
Of all CBD-infused goods from Hemp Bombs, we have decided to try the 2,000mg Hemp Bombs CBD oil, after hearing lots of good words from satisfied customers. Plus, when it comes to fighting acute pain, people need CBD in greater abundance than regular users.
The peppermint-flavored oil appeared to be super effective for our day-to-day pain when taken 2-3 times per day – usually in the morning and evening, but when things got worse, we added another dose to the regiment. The fact that it’s a CBD isolate and not a full spectrum extract actually gives a backseat to the product’s potency.
If you don’t like the distinct, earthy and nutty taste of CBD oil, the peppermint version should make the whole experience much more pleasant. If not, you can always add CBD oil to your food or drinks – each to his own.
Price: $49.99 – $299.99
3. NuLeaf Naturals CBD Oil Tinctures
When a group of health-conscious hemp aficionados with a passion for plant-based medicine decide to launch a CBD oil company, you know there must be something in the water. Founded in 2014, NuLeaf Naturals needed only 4 years to become one of America’s leaders in the hemp industry. With such quality of Cannabidiol they offer, it’s no surprise they are looked up to by aspiring CBD suppliers.
- All natural organic, pesticide- and GMO-free hemp grown in Colorado
- Extracted with the use of CO2 extraction
- Backed by extensive third-party lab testing that checks for over 200 common contaminants
- Full-spectrum CBD extracts
- Works really well for pain and anxiety relief
Our take on NuLeaf Naturals CBD Oil Tinctures:
While we always take customer reviews on a company’s website with a pinch of salt, it is difficult not to trust a brand that has over 900 5-star reviews from satisfied customers. One simply doesn’t argue with such such numbers.
Still, we wanted to see if the pain killing capabilities of NuLeaf Naturals CBD Oil Tinctures stand true to their reputation, and believe us – they do!
The oil starts to exhibit its effects within several minutes after ingestion, not to mention that its flavor is not as strong as in other CBD oils used for arthritis. NuLeaf deserves big kudos for being one of the longest lasting CBD oil on the market, bringing a 4-5-hours relief from chronic pain.
Outstanding potency, fast onset time, long duration – it’s all there!
Price: $38.50 – $439.00
4. VerifiedCBD CBD Oil Tinctures
VerifiedCBD has been in the hemp business since 2014, shipping their products to 50 countries across the world. The company combines organic materials with safe and sustainable extraction methods to obtain pure and full-spectrum CBD oil that excels at potency and purity – VerifiedCBD tests its selection of CBD goods for the most common contaminants, including heavy metals, pesticides, and microbiological contamination.
- 100% organic, GMO-free certified industrial hemp
- CO2 extraction
- Lab tested with advanced HPLC equipment
- Contains a broad spectrum of cannabinoids, terpenes, and essential oils
- Shipping to 50 countries across the world
Our take on VerifiedCBD CBD Oil
When testing a company for the first time, it is always a good practice to buy its signature products. Having followed our motto, we decided to try the 1500mg bottle that contains 150 regular servings; this is 3 times more CBD than in the 500mg version.
When it comes to the efficacy of VerifiedCBD CBD oil, we can only say positive things about it. One of our team members has suffered from back pain for 30 years and was on a mix of prescription drugs to handle his symptoms. After having incorporated the oil into his treatment for three days, his condition started to improve – slowly but surely. Now, after a week, he is completely free of pain and surprisingly, he doesn’t have to use extremely high doses to achieve the desired effect.
For us, his example is enough to place VerifiedCBD among the best CBD oils arthritis and chronic pain.
Price: $49.95 – $129.95
5. CBDistillery CBD Oil
Hemp is a natural bioaccumulator, meaning that it cleans up the soil, absorbing all toxins from the ground it’s grown in. CBDistillery is well aware of that fact; that’s why they use Colorado-grown hemp. Colorado farms are known to provide the best growing conditions of all US lands. But that’s not everything; the company sees the CBD industry as something more than just a promising business. CBDistillery has even created its own hashtag #CBDMOVEMENT, under which they educate people about the benefits of hemp and its compounds.
- Sourced from domestically grown, organic industrial hemp
- Contains a full spectrum of cannabinoids
- Lab tested for the ultimate potency and purity
- Only trace amounts of THC (less than 0.3% THC content)
- A decent price/quality ratio
Our take on CBDIstillery CBD Oil:
While doing our research on CBDistillery, we stumbled upon some interesting information. Namely, the company was awarded the #3 best CBD oil company in the world by Rave Reviews, which almost instantly elevated our expectations in regards to its potency and efficacy in alleviating chronic pain.
Do they deserve such a high rank amidst the sea of other aspiring CBD sellers? Well, we already picked our top 3 CBD oils for arthritis, but CBDIstillery fits into the gold quality standards for Cannabidiol. Their full-spectrum extracts are pure, potent, and most importantly, they bring relief from chronic pain or acute headaches.
According to online testimonies from cannabidiol users, inflammatory pain is one of the most frequently mentioned conditions that Verified CBD oil can silence effectively.
Prices: $20.00 – $240.00
6. DiamondCBD (Best CBD Vaping Oil)
What we appreciate about Diamond CBD is that the company is always looking for ways to improve the quality of their CBD oil and raise the overall quality standards in the industry. Although DiamondCBD is a US-based business, they source their hemp from Scandinavian plants which are known to excel at potency.
Here’s what to expect from DiamondCBD:
- 100% organic hemp imported from Scandinavia
- CO2 extraction
- Contains a broad spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes
- Lab tested for potency and purity with HPLC and NMR equipment
Our take on DiamondCBD CBD Oil:
DiamondCBD claims that its oil is 7x more effective than other CBD oils on the market in terms of dealing with pain and anxiety. While the company doesn’t provide any proof of such claims – we guess it’s just the marketing team doing their job – we were surprised to learn how powerful and fast the product actually is. From social anxiety to back pain, it can help you big time if you don’t feel like popping prescription pills anymore.
Oh, and if you’re a flavor chaser, you’re going to love the DiamondCBD’s selection of different flavors, including Lemon Lime, Strawberry banana, Dragon Fruit, and Butterscotch among many others.
Prices: $19.99 – $219.99
7. Endoca CBD Oil Tinctures
Endoca prides itself on producing some of the best hemp CBD products on the market, and they do it with style zest. Being among the top players in the industry, the company sells almost everything, from capsules to topicals to powerful tinctures and innovative CBD suppositories. But today, we’re going to focus on Endoca’s evergreen classic – the CBD oil tinctures.
- Endoca owns their seed bank, growing fields, and processes the plants themselves
- Much of the company’s equipment is made with hemp; even their harvesting machines run on waste oil
- 100% organic industrial hemp plants
- CO2 extraction
- Lab tested for over 200 common contaminants
- Both full-spectrum extracts and isolates available
Our take on Endoca CBD Oil:
Since this is the “best CBD oils for arthritis” review, it goes without saying that we’ve picked the stronger, 1500mg version to investigate its analgesic properties thoroughly. What we like about this particular oil is that Endoca uses gentle heat under filtration to infuse it with both CBD and CBDA to improve the anti-inflammatory qualities of the product.
Take it from us; the 15% CBD oil drops are extremely potent. From back pain to migraines to arthritis, it does the job just perfectly. All you need to do after ingesting the oil is wait a couple of minutes for CBD to kick in, and then, experience long-lasting pain relief that will help you get through the day without that grimace full of suffering.
Prices: $31.00 – $286.00
8. Koi CBD Isolate (0% THC)
Have you been looking high and low for a CBD oil that has absolutely zero THC inside? Similar to Hemp Bombs, Koi CBD provides their customers with some of the purest forms of cannabidiol on the market. Koi CBD is actually a very intriguing company; due to their unique style of both manufacturing their hemp goods and the branding they use, Koi CBD is often referred to by hemp aficionados as the “Apple of the CBD industry.”
And believe us – this reputation is very well deserved. After all, Koi CBD sells premium-quality products that are pure, potent, and innovative.
Let’s have a quick glance over Koi CBD Isolate:
- Sourced from the finest, certified industrial hemp plants grown in Colorado
- Pesticide- and GMO-free
- Their CBD is lab tested for potency and purity
- Extracted with the use of supercritical CO2 Extraction Methods
- 25% lifetime discount for veterans
Our take on Koi CBD Isolate:
We have some serious fans of CBD isolates in our team, and all of them agreed that for a CBD isolate, Koi CBD is VERY close to full-spectrum CBD. To be honest, if we didn’t know it was an isolate, we wouldn’t figure it out at the first try. Once vaped, CBD kicks in much faster, but we noticed that you need to vape it consistently for a few minutes. This is where we started to experience its painkilling properties. Personally, we felt like this is a very relaxing isolate, if not sedating. It may leave you a little tired if you’re not used to the high doses of CBD, but it’s definitely good for unwinding.
Prices: $29.99 – $99.99
9. Bota Hemp CBD Full Spectrum Tincture
Bota Hemp is a proud member of the “National Hemp Association” and a company that has drawn the attention of CBD consumers on hemp and CBD forums for a while now. They sell completely US-grown, organic, and natural hemp products that are THC-free.
Their catalog may not be filled with so many different CBD goods, but they make up for it in terms of quality. We’re going to review their staple product – Bota Hemp CBD Full Spectrum Tincture.
- Made from domestically grown hemp
- Made with Coconut MCT oil
- Less than 0.2% THC content
- Full-spectrum extracts
- 100% natural and organic
- CO2 Extracted
- Subject to extensive 3rd-party lab testing
Our take on Bota Hemp CBD Full Spectrum Tincture
Working full hours and having little time to take care of ourselves, we often end up being tired or in pain, because let’s face it, today’s world is overwhelming. Bota Hemp CBD helps us bring balance to that mess.
The tincture may not work as fast as competitors – we, for example, had to wait around 45 minutes to experience the effects – but at the same time, it lasts much longer. In the space of a couple of hours, this CBD can boost confidence, relieve stress, and most importantly, silence everyday pain effectively and reduce inflammation.
Since this is a full-spectrum extract, you need less CBD oil to achieve the desired effects than with a CBD isolate, so here it is – the final nail in the coffin of your excuses.
10. CBDfx CBD Oil
CBDfx has a well-found philosophy around plant medicine, and they also spend a great deal of time and energy sharing brilliant educational materials on Cannabidiols. While many brands claim to sell a full-spectrum product, CBDfx comes with the Certificates of Analysis to prove it. The company sells potent CBD oil among other hemp-derived goods, such as 100% vegan CBD gummy bears.
But for now, let’s concentrate on CBDfx CBD oil tinctures:
- CBD is sustainably sourced from the top-notch quality hemp plants
- CO2 extracted
- Full-spectrum CBD oil
- Packed with vitamins, fatty acids, minerals, and amino acids
- Lab tested for potency and purity
Our take on CBDfx Full Spectrum Oil Tinctures:
Of course, we know that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, but when it comes to CBD oil, it must be of pristine consistency and come in a golden-yellow color; it’s an indicator that CBD was extracted with CO2 into a full-spectrum product.
The tinctures turned out strong – we picked the 1500mg version – which was enough to ease back pain and joint pain of one of our members’ father. As for our experience, we found it also effective in terms of migraines, even in more serious attacks. The oil might not be something to talk home about, but it’s definitely not offensive to our picky taste buds.
Prices: $74.99 – $299.99
The Science Behind CBD Oil for Arthritis
Arthritis is one of the leading causes of disability in the United States, with over 50 million Americans suffering from the disease. Arthritis can be broke down in two categories:
- Osteoarthritis (OA): A degenerative illness that damages joint cartilage and bones, causing pain and stiffness. Osteoarthritis patients typically complain on hip, knee, and thumb joints pain.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): An autoimmune disease which causes a person’s immune system to attack their joints, triggering inflammation. RA typically affects the hands and feet, leading to swollen, painful, and stiff joints.
We’ve already agreed that conventional treatment – although effective in the short run – can ruin your health in the further perspective. But how about CBD oil? How can it help with arthritis and is it really safe?
How Exactly Does CBD Work for Arthritis?
Here’s what science has to tell about CBD oil for arthritis:
- In 2006, the first study on CBD and arthritis found that over a five-week trial, a cannabis-based prescription medication called Sativex demonstrated a “significant analgesic effect” and that both inflammation and pain were significantly reduced during the treatment .
- A 2008 review of cannabinoids on chronic pain found that CBD effectively alleviated pain and improved sleep quality for subjects .
- A 2011 study concluded that CBD helped to reduce inflammatory pain in animal models by affecting the way their pain receptors respond to stimuli .
- A 2014 review of the existing research on animals stated that CBD can be an effective treatment for Osteoarthritis .
- In a 2016 study, researchers found that the topical use of CBD had the potential to significantly reduce inflammation in rats affected by arthritis .
- A 2017 research paper found that CBD might be a promising treatment for joint pain induced by osteoarthritis .
What CBD Oil Products Can I Use for Arthritis?
If you want to use CBD oil for arthritis, consider the following consumption methods:
What’s the Optimal CBD Oil Dosage for Arthritis?
There is actually no “optimal dosage” of Cannabidiol when it comes to inflammatory pain caused by arthritis or other chronic illnesses. However, data gathered from CBD users suggests that arthritis sufferers should start with taking 25mg of CBD twice a day and observe the effects for a week-long period. If you don’t feel the desired effects after that time, gradually increase the dosage until you hit the sweet spot.
Are There Any Side Effects?
CBD oil doesn’t come with any serious side effects. However, you might experience some mild inconvenience, especially if you use CBD oil for the first time or along with RA drugs. If that’s your story, you may experience the following side effects:
- lower blood pressure
- appetite changes
What About the Legal Risk of Using CBD Oil for Arthritis?
As long as you’re using hemp-derived CBD oil, there’s nothing to be afraid of. Hemp CBD oil is considered a food supplement and thus you don’t need a prescription or a doctor’s recommendation to buy it.
However, keep in mind that FDA does not currently approve CBD oil as a medical treatment for arthritis. The only use of Cannabidiol approved by FDA is in the treatment of two rare and severe forms of epilepsy. It received accreditation in June 2018 in the form of a CBD-based drug, Epidiolex.
A Final Word on CBD Oil for Arthritis
So far, studies investigating the benefits of CBD oil for arthritis are promising, to say the least. Although a large portion of this research comes from animal models and we still need more human trials, current anecdotal evidence from arthritis sufferers lead us to a belief that human studies will provide similar, optimistic results.
We hope that our list of best CBD oils for arthritis will help you choose the right product for your condition and alleviate the debilitating pain. If you use CBD oil to combat inflammation pain, share your stories in the comment section and spread the word about CBD’s therapeutic potential!
- Blake DR, Robson P, Ho M, Jubb RW, McCabe CS. Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006 Jan;45(1):50-2. Epub 2005 Nov 9. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16282192
- Russo, Ethan B. “Cannabinoids in the Management of Difficult to Treat Pain.” Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management 4.1 (2008): 245–259. Print. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/
- Schuelert N, McDougall JJ. The abnormal cannabidiol analog O-1602 reduces nociception in a rat model of acute arthritis via the putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55. Neurosci Lett. 2011 Aug 1;500(1):72-6. Epub 2011 Jun 13. PubMed PMID: 21683763. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21683763
- La Porta C, Bura SA, Negrete R, Maldonado R. Involvement of the endocannabinoid system in osteoarthritis pain. Eur J Neurosci. 2014 Feb;39(3):485-500. Review. PubMed PMID: 24494687. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24494687
- Hammell, D.C. et al. “Transdermal Cannabidiol Reduces Inflammation and Pain-Related Behaviours in a Rat Model of Arthritis.” European journal of pain (London, England) 20.6 (2016): 936–948. PMC. Web. 13 Oct. 2018. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4851925/
- Philpott HT, OʼBrien M, McDougall JJ. Attenuation of early phase inflammation by cannabidiol prevents pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis. Pain. 2017 Dec;158(12) PubMed PMID: 28885454; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5690292. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28885454